Computer engineering can be compared to the study of Legos; the individual pieces are simple to comprehend and put together, but the final products can be substantial, elaborate, and occasionally spectacular. The students in our computer engineering program are introduced to these fundamental building blocks, known as gates and flip-flops, and are shown how to combine them to create useful systems and devices.
The practice-oriented curriculum of the computer engineering program offers small classes with opportunities for hands-on learning.
computer engineering to Software engineering:
In order to better understand how a master’s in software engineering differs from a master’s in computer science, the following explanation is given. It is possible to think of software engineering as a branch of computer science that is more tactical than theoretical in nature.
- Even though the training is different, many computer science graduates today hold jobs that could easily be called “software engineers.”
- We use or incorporate many different computer science tools and techniques along the way, but the curriculum frequently returns to the engineering mindset.
- By building, testing, and maintaining the entire system, that mindset is qualified and prepared to analyze the framing of software engineering challenges and develop solutions.
The two year includes general fundamental engineering courses as well as foundational courses in the hardware and software aspects of computer engineering.
The third and fourth years of the curriculum focus on software and hardware aspects of computer engineering, with technical electives available to let the student gain more depth in a chosen area of expertise.
Bachelor in computer engineering
The goal of the computer engineering bachelor’s degree program at West Virginia University is to produce graduates who will be successful in professional positions in business, industry, research, government service, graduate study, or professional school.
The curriculum for the Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering is focused on practical application. Outstanding, cutting-edge undergraduate lab facilities are available for instruction and practical applications.
Students will acquire a strong foundation in the fundamental concepts that are reinforced through real-world application, preparing them to be productive workers right out of school.
Master’s degree in computer engineering
The same degree as the traditional master’s, the Software Engineering Executive Master’s allows students to continue working while pursuing their studies. The curriculum focuses on key competencies in machine learning, distributed computing, concurrent computing, and emerging software system technologies that are necessary to successfully design and deliver systems.
Computer Engineering Schools in West Virginia
Here in West Virginia, we have some of the best colleges and universities in the nation, and many of them offer undergraduate and graduate degrees in computer science. Graduate-level programs in software engineering are available, as is a graduate certificate.
Numerous businesses and government organizations in the state and its neighboring states frequently seek out candidates with training in programming languages like software engineering and computer science.
Best Computer Engineering Schools in West Virginia
|West Virginia University - Lane Department of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering
|1220 Evansdale Dr
|507 S Kanawha St
|Pierpont Community & Technical College
|500 Galliher Dr
|West Virginia University
|WVU Potomac State College
|101 Fort Ave
|Blue Ridge Community and Technical College
|13650 Apple Harvest Dr
|135 Corporate Center Dr Suite 531
|300 Campus Dr
|Benjamin M. Statler College of Engineering and Mineral Resources
|1306 Evansdale Dr
|BridgeValley Community & Technical College
|2001 Union Carbide Drive
|301 N King St
|Mountwest Community & Technical College
|1 Mountwest Way
|Eastern West Virginia Community and Technical College
|316 Eastern Dr
|31 S Loop Campus Dr
|University of Charleston
|2300 MacCorkle Ave SE
|West Virginia State University
|223 W Main St
|West Virginia Northern Community College Wheeling Campus
|1704 Market St
|Bluefield State University
|219 Rock St
|Alderson Broaddus University
|101 College Hill Rd
Opportunities in computer engineering
Opportunities for those with training in computer science, biometrics, software engineering, software development, and related fields should be sought out to fill positions in this and other tech fields as West Virginia continues to concentrate efforts on expanding this sector.
- The best chances for positions and higher pay will probably go to those with graduate degrees in these fields.
- Software and hardware for embedded computers are designed, developed, tested, manufactured, and maintained under the supervision of computer engineers. Computer engineering thus combines elements of the knowledge of computer scientists and electrical engineers.
- Automotive, communications, radio and television, consumer electronics, aircraft, robotics, and the healthcare sectors all use embedded computer systems.
Scope of computer engineering
In our most recent survey of program graduates, we discovered that 100% of those who responded since 2013 either started an advanced degree or found full-time employment after graduating from WVU. A starting salary range of $55,000 to $65,000 was also reported.
- Graduates can pursue careers in industry and with governmental organizations, where starting salaries are competitive nationally. A wide range of digital and computer systems are accessible to computer engineers.
- They can work to create new programs and applications, install and troubleshoot software, maintain and advance computer hardware and software systems, or manage databases for businesses and governmental organizations.
- They can also be hardware designers creating digital systems for government defense, automotive, manufacturing, or utility applications.
- Many of these positions require design, fieldwork, maintenance, or the creation of new hardware- or software-related projects.
What career options are open to graduates?
Graduates can pursue careers in industry and with governmental organizations, where starting salaries are competitive nationally. Many of these positions require design, fieldwork, maintenance, or the creation of new hardware- or software-related projects.
The FBI, National Security Agency, Joint Warfare Analysis Center, Navair, Naval Surface Weapons Center, and Dominion Power are among the organizations that have hired our graduates.
Computer engineers create, test, manufacture, and supervise the upkeep of embedded computer hardware and software. The computer engineer is therefore a hybrid of an electrical engineer and a computer scientist.
Computer engineers Outcome
Computer engineers also create, develop, test, produce, and maintain complex systems, such as secure computer networks, digital communications systems like cell phone networks, and system-level software like operating systems and applications software.
Even contemporary smartphones are complex digital systems with millions of lines of code. Communication, control, military, and entertainment applications all come under computer engineering.